Monday, August 9, 2010

Job hunting gone awry...

On August 2, I flew out to Colorado to do some job hunting at schools. Talk about a migraine and a half! Sometimes, in education (sadly) its not what you know, its who you know. And well, I don't really know anyone high up in schools in Colorado. So my plan was to just walk into schools, resume and portfolio ready to go, and ask to speak to someone about any open positions. If there were no open positions, I was just going to ask to leave my resume with someone that can contact me for future employment.

Of course, every secretary I meet says that the Principal or hiring person is in a meeting. In every school throughout Colorado. At all hours of the day. How convienent. I mean, I get it. I understand how annoying it is when people just pop in unannounced. I worked in customer service. Solicitors are annoying. I guess I was kind of like a solicitor in some way. Selling myself basically. I just started to feel really let down after only a day.

I want to live in Colorado. More than anything in the world. When I was little, my friends would want to be models or vetrinarians. I wanted to be a ski instructor. I still think it would be AWESOME to do that for a living! But my first passion is education and history. Second is the mountains. Skiing, hiking, rock climbing...love it all. I want to combine my two passions one day. But not this school year I guess. After a week of job hunting, it was clear that I just waited too late in the game to get out to Colorado. I should have come in May. Shoulda, coulda, woulda!

However, on the more positive note, I have made a plan for my life for this next year. I was offered a permanent substitute teacher position at Lincoln-Way East High School (my alma-mater)!! It's awesome money, full time position, and they asked if I could coach a sport and be involved in 2 activities, which would bump me up on the pay scale even more. I always said that if I stay in Illinois, I would want to be at Lincoln-Way. :)

However...I need to teach one day. I can't be a permanent sub forever. Thus, my life plan to make myself more marketable for next year:

1. Learn Spanish. Being bilingual will be a HUGE boost to my resume.
2. I am 3 classes away from being certified in Language Arts. I will finish those 3 classes and then I can teach Language Arts and History! Double whammy ;)
3. Become certified in more than one state. Most states just require paper-work. Adding my certifications will make me more marketable to relocate if needed (hopefully to COLORADO!!).
4. Get a puppy. Yes, I know this has nothing to do with schools - but I want a puppy. Now is a good time :)

This last week in Colorado, I am going to relax with my family and enjoy myself. I don't know if I should even go into the guy I met that lives out here. Spent some time with him and it just did not work out...we both were on completely diffrent pages. I need to be single for a while. That's what your 20's are for anyways, right? :)

Newly single, new job, new life plans...just need to stay positive now and count the little blessing in life. I need to remember that when I push my own plans to happen, God laughs. All in due time will I be out in Colorado. I'll be trying every single school year, and I know one day it has to happen.

Somehow, I successfully made it through the job hunt with a job offer - not actual teaching, but in a school nonetheless. One step closer to doing what I really want! So maybe I'm not pushing adulthood away that much ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment