Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Day 3 in Rome: The Pope! (and some other beautiful sights)

{Wednesday, May 28, 2014}

Today is the audience with the Pope!

Disclaimer: Obviously, this whole blog has always been my opinion, and my opinion only. What I experienced at the audience with the Pope is probably completely different than what others experienced. So don't take what I say into count if deciding to do the audience. Just do it and see for yourself :)

Dad and I woke up before the sun to get ready and get in line. Since Mom wasn't feeling well yesterday, we wanted her to sleep in today. So Zach and Mom would meet us a little later. Meanwhile, we would save seats (it's first come, first serve - even if you have the special VIP seats). We woke up at 5:30, got ready quickly (dressing appropriately - men must wear pants, women cannot show knees or shoulders), and headed over to the Vatican. This was one of those moments where I literally thought out loud during the walk: "Thank God we are only a few blocks away." I mean, there were people that had to take buses there. Ugh, that would have been WAY too early. We were told to get there by 6:30 to beat the buses of people that come from all over Italy...

The "line" we stood in to get into St. Peter's Basilica for the audience with the Pope. This was taken at 6:45am.

Whoops! We were FIVE minutes late. We got there at exactly 6:35am, and still stood in a huge line.

The line was overwhelming. It wasn't really a line, but more like a cluster of people that just crowd down the street, shoving each other until they feel they're as close as they can get to the security entrance.  I immediately felt claustrophobic.  Right behind Dad and I was a German couple that were literally inches behind us. The woman's purse was stabbing my back, the man was breathing down dad's neck. You could tell they were trying to get around us since we had left a little room right in front of us...to you know...breathe. But I looked at Dad and said in perfectly clear English in case they could understand it, "I am a linebacker this morning. No one is getting past me." I widened my stance, crossed my arms, and stood firm every time that German lady pushed into me a little bit more. A couple of times, I turned around to make eye contact with them to let them know that I KNEW what they were doing, but whenever I turned around, it was like their eyes magically turned into magnets that were drawn to the ground. Which told me, THEY KNEW that I KNEW.

Then, the gates opened a little after 7:30. And all of the sudden, our "line," didn't matter anymore. People were pushing forward with so much force that I really think I could have lifted up both of my feet, and the crowd would have just carried me with them. Dad was freaking out. He immediately shoved himself directly behind me and held onto my shoulders, staying with me and guiding me as best as he could. I had to look up at the sky every couple of minutes just to get some fresh air. Claustrophobia was completely setting in, and I remember thinking "If I die here, at least the Pope might be able to preside over my funeral."

After about 10 minutes of feeling like cattle, we were up at the security metal detectors, pushed through pretty quickly with big smiles by the Swiss Guard, and into the open air of the Square. It wasn't as crowded inside as it was outside just yet, but people were seriously RUNNING to get good seats.

It's funny...you'd think people would be shoving their way to the front of the seats, but no...the good seats are along the rails. The Pope rides through the crowds by the railings in the Pope mobile, so if you REALLY want to see the Pope, get there early to get a seat along the rail.

Dad and I quickly noticed that our separate VIP entrance was a little closer to the church, so we made our way through 2 Swiss Guard checkpoints, flashed our special red VIP tickets, and were on our way to sit closer than that rude German couple would be to the Pope. (I know, it's not very Christian to feel like "HA! Karma!" but after standing on my feet, in a smelly crowd for 1.5 hours, and then being physically pushed through a metal detector, I think God was just happy that I didn't flip out on someone.)


View of the stage from our seats. The Pope sits under the white "cover" to the right in the picture.
We really did get quite amazing seats. Dad and I grabbed 4 together along the rail, as close as we could get, sat down, and just took a deep breath. The past 2 hours were insanity. Dad was right when he said "There are people here that are taking away the spiritual and holy experience for me." And I quickly had to tell myself, and Dad, that you know what, this probably is only a tourist thing for some people. I guarantee, there were people there that were not Catholic, had no inclination of how important the Pope is in the Catholic religion, and were just pushing their way up front for a super cool view of an internationally-known person. And, good for them. I'm happy they chose to come experience this. But yet, here I was thinking that the audience with the Pope would be an intensely religious, holy, and spiritual endeavor, where everyone in attendance would be respectful, kind, and considerate of others. I was just really sad, annoyed, and disappointed to start with.

Once Mom and Zach joined us, it was only a matter of time before the Pope would arrive! And you could tell when he did, because all of the sudden, there were cameras out and pointed in the same direction, and cheers so loud, you couldn't hear yourself think.

I think the Pope has arrived...

And there he is!
After about 20 minutes of Pope Francis riding around in the Pope Mobile, he made his way up the little hill and to his seat where he addressed the crowd about his recent trip to the Middle East. He spoke of the need for peace, and how powerful prayer is in finding peace throughout the world.

You can find a full text of his message that we heard by clicking here.

Hearing him speak was wonderful (they had an English translator that spoke after he did). After his reflections on the readings from the day and his trip to the Middle East, he gave a blessing to all in attendance, and extended the blessing to all of our family members and friends whose intentions we held in our hearts. It really was beautiful. For a brief moment of his speech, I forgot about all the craziness of the morning, and just soaked it all in. And of course, I got a little teary eyed. :')

What was so beautiful, though, was seeing the Pope after the "audience" part, go down into the crowd where a group of physically and mentally disabled children were with their parents, and he took the time to go to each child, give them a blessing, and speak with their parents. He did this for about 30 minutes. We just watched, with great admiration, for the leader of our religious community, whose heart is so big and loving. Of course, Mom and I cried. Seeing the parents cry, so happy and feeling loved by the man with a direct line to God. How often those kids get over-looked. But not by Pope Francis. He gave them all of his attention, hugged and kissed them, and blessed them. I love that man, and am so proud he is our Pope, modeling what Jesus expects of us.

After it all was over, we were exhausted. We stopped for a quick bite to eat at a stand-up cafeteria, got back to the apartment, and took a much needed siesta! I love that the Italians take naps after lunch. Now that is my kind of lifestyle! :)

Once we napped for about 3 hours, we didn't want to waste any more of the day. So out we went, and more of Rome we saw!

We wandered down Via Cola di Rienzo (our street that we stayed on), crossed the Ponte Regina Margherita, and entered upon Piazza del Papolo. A beautiful circular area that was filled with restaurants and great people watching. We then headed south down Via del Corso, which is pretty touristy, as there A LOT of shops. Our first stop was the Trevi Fountain.

Story goes that you throw a coin into the fountain, over the back of your shoulder, and wish to return to Italy one day. Neptune (whose statue is standing over the great big fountain), God of the Sea, will grant your wish to return, and one day, you'll be back among the Romans.

My great-grandmother took a photo doing this, my grandfather took a photo doing this, my aunt took a photo doing this, and now, all four of us were going to take a photo as well. We live for these kinds of cheesy traditions in my family :)



Beautiful Trevi Fountain...and a bald dude's head. He just would not move.
We stayed a few minutes at the Fountain, then set out for the Spanish Steps at Piazza di Spagna. It was a pretty short walk through some back streets, where we saw some gorgeous buildings and little Roman alleys.

I must say, though, and I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but I don't get the big deal about the Spanish Steps. I mean, they're stairs. Sure, they're big, and kinda pretty, but I just climbed easily over 500 steps the other day to the top of the dome in St. Peter's, and then stood on my feet all morning this morning waiting for the Pope. My legs are tired, and the very last thing I want to see right now is more stairs to climb. Ugh.

But...here they are:

With Zach, about half-way up the steps. Note my super touristy look. Cardigan to cover the shoulders in churches, scarf because its way-European, camera around the neck, and cross-body purse to make it more difficult for thieves to steal it.
View from the top of the steps. Notice how Zach looks fabulous as he is mocking my camera pose.
At the top of the Spanish Steps, there is the church Trinita dei Monti. Unfortunately, the majority of it was being renovated and restored, so we didn't get to see much of it at all.  But once you get to the doors of the church, turn back around and you get this rooftop view of Rome:


Like I said, it's just stairs. Pretty views, good people watching, but other than that, it was probably my least favorite thing we did in Rome.  But once that was over, we walked back towards the apartment and stopped for dinner on the way. We just popped into a little Trattoria that none of us can remember the name of. Of course, the food and wine were delish :)

All four of our little touristy gang completely crashed that night, even though we had a siesta earlier, and couldn't wait to hit the ground running for our last fully day in Rome.

Ciao!

p.s. I love this picture of Zach and I strolling down the street after the Spanish Steps. It's pretty sweet that my bro is also my best friend. Loved seeing Italy with him :)


No comments:

Post a Comment