Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day 8: Florence, museums...and a sick Jaclyn

{Monday, June 2, 2014}

Today started up with a not so big bang. I woke up feeling pretty ill, weak, and had abdomen pain. Our goal was to get up early and get in line for the Accademia, but since I was sick, Dad went over by himself to see if he could pre-purchase tickets for a little later in the day so that we could get in easily.  I was able to sleep for a while longer, and when Dad returned, he was laughing.

Little did we know, that today is (basically) Italy's Republic Day.  Their "Independence Day." Festa della Repubblica is a national holiday, and most Italians are on holiday, partying, or just taking the day off, sleeping in. So, the museum was open, but no one was there! We were told there would be a HUGE long line to get in, and to be prepared to stand in a crowd for an hour before you see Michaelangelo's David statue.  Now that I knew I wouldn't have to deal with crowds, I mustered up the strength to get ready and go.

The entrance to the Accademia. Apparently this street is supposed to be lined with thousands of people on a daily basis. I think we were 4 of 50 people to enter that morning. Thank you, Italy.
We had big grins on our faces as we breezed through the door. We love not having to stand in lines finally!

There are no photos allowed in the Accademia, so I wasn't able to get many pictures, but it really is some fascinatingly beautiful artwork. Although, in the first couple of rooms, I thought, "We had to pay 6,50 euro a person to get into THIS? Eh...not our best admission purchase."

BUT THEN you go into the main hall room, and you see David. Holy Lord Almighty.  I think we all know what David looks like, and we know that it is one of Michaelangelo's greatest pieces of art, and that it is tall. But those pieces of information cannot prepare you for actually seeing it in person.

Whoops...looks like I broke the "no picture" rule again... ;)
I mean, I must have sat and stared at David from all angles for 30-40 minutes. It is ONE slab of marble. No flaws. Every little detail - the veins, hair, creases on the toes, his eyes - is perfection.

Now, I am not an art-snob at all. In fact, there is like 90% of art out there that I just don't get. I'm one of those brats that walks into a museum and says "Ugh, I could totally do that myself." But with David...I have never in my life been completely stammered by a piece of art. Incredible, marvelous, stunning, perfect...those words don't even come close to describing what its like seeing it in person. You must go if you are ever in Florence. Please promise me.

We walked through a couple more rooms at the Accademia, then I really started to not feel good. I was feeling really weak and faint, so we walked back to the apartment. I took a nap, while Mom, Dad, and Zach went to the grocery store. We decided to try cooking in for dinner, since we had a full-sized kitchen and utensils.

When they returned, I woke up and we all just lounged on the couch for a few hours. I felt bad that we all were inside and not out exploring because of me, but I kind of think they all were grateful to just relax for a little bit on this vacation and not be on their feet.

Zach got some postcards written, Mom read the news from back home to Dad while he sipped his coffee and people-watched out our window. And I laid on the couch, shoving medicine down my throat, grateful we weren't living here in medieval times. Once I started feeling a tad better, we headed back out to check out the Uffizi Gallery.

Once again, there was pretty much no line - we waited 2 minutes behind 10 people. It was awesome. And again...no photos allowed. Ugh. I was annoyed, but managed to secretly snap a couple :)

View down the Arno River and the Ponte Vecchio from the Uffizi Gallery.
Michaelangelo's only recorded painting. And Dad. Reading every single word of every single piece of art.
After the Uffizi, we all were pretty tired. We were in there for 2 hours, and I think Dad could have stayed longer. Who knew HE was such an art snob?! ;)

Back at the apartment, Dad got dinner ready, and even made us a little meat and cheese plate for appetizers. This plate was empty within minutes...

SO good! :) :)
I'm glad I was able to power through some of today and see what we did. David was stunning, and the Uffizi was incredible. Hoping for more energy tomorrow - our last full day in Florence!

Ciao!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment