Monday, July 4, 2011

Giving Back

I don't know about you, but I claim that I became an adult when I started watching the news and actually caring about what they were saying. This happened shortly towards the end of college, and although I didn't understand what entirely was going on in our world, I knew it wasn't good.

As the years have gone by, I've made sure to do a little extra homework on issues I am unfamiliar with. Doing that extra homework has led me to find some awesome charities and foundations that help those in need.

I love doing hands-on work, and seeing first hand that I am giving back to others. I truly believe that life is not lived unless you have served. But there are some things in life that are just too big to tackle hands on from my little home in the United States. So, I've decided to commit myself to 4 charities. I may not be able to give a lot on a yearly basis, but something is better than nothing. And if not me, then who?

Here are the 4 charities/foundations that I am now giving to. Please click on the links if you feel inclined to do so, and learn about the amazing work each one is doing and how to donate:




1. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Interesting facts about St. Jude's Hospital and Research

Why I chose to donate to St. Jude:
St. Jude never turns down a patient, even if the family cannot pay. I have lost both of my grandfathers to cancer, and have seen first-hand the toll it takes on a persons life. However, both of my grandfathers had long, happy lives. It saddens me to see children as young as infants suffering from cancer and other life-threatening diseases.




2. The Gary Sinise Foundation

List of veterans charities that the Gary Sinise Foundation supports

Why I chose to donate to Gary Sinise Foundation:There are so many foundations and charities out there to help U.S. veterans, that it was hard to choose just one. I had given some money to random charities here and there, but couldn't fully commit to one because I would soon find another one to donate to! Then I saw Gary Sinise (Lt. Dan from Forest Gump!) on TV talking about his foundation, and it honestly just made it simple for me to choose. His foundation distributes the charity they recieve to A LOT of other charities out there. Click on the link above for the list. I know my money is going to at least one of them, and I'm proud to say that I helped one, if not more. So incredibly thankful for our troops, past and present, and all they have done for our amazing country :)




3. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

Why I chose to donate to ASPCA:I was a little hesitant about deciding on an animal charity to give to, but I feel I made the right choice after doing some research. I thought about donating to PETA, but some of their stances are quite radical (such as ALL domesticated pets should be spayed and neutered) ... just some weird stances. And although I respect what their main goal is, I just felt better about supporting ASPCA. The goal - no matter what - is to prevent animal cruelty. The love for animals is abundant, and I knew that since I can't afford a pet right now, I needed to give back somehow.




4. The A21 Campaign

Why I chose to donate to the A21 Campaign:After reading an article on cnn.com about human sex-trafficking in Greece, I was appalled. Human trafficking is the second largest global organized crime today, generating vicitims in the millions on a yearly basis world-wide. In Greece, prostitution is legal, so it makes it very hard to convict people on sex-trafficking, especially because Greece does not enforce immigration laws. It is extremely easy to smuggle (mostly) girls into Greece, to be a part of a sexual exploitation ring. An estimated 800,000 people a year are smuggled over the Greece border. People are being smuggled in from all over the world, but mostly southern and eastern Europe (ever see Taken??? The movie is sadly a true depiction of what is going on today). This charity really struck a chord with me. I live in a safe area. Safe home. Family to care for me. My own bed. My own choices. Food whenever I want it. Safe travels. Girls are being promised a good career in a new country, or just simply visiting a new place when they are kidnapped and forced into sex-trafficking. Immediately after researching this topic and charity, I knew in my heart that I had to give, and pray.



A quote from probably the most charitable person to ever live in our life-time:
Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.
     -Mother Teresa


My money is not enough. But it is a start. Which is why I needed to blog this as well. Hopefully you find it within yourself to give back to a cause that is worth helping. We all may not be able to give everything we have, but we can give something.

Think about it :)






On a lighter note, I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July! So blessed to be an American, so proud of our fore-fathers that fought endlessly and bravely to stand up for what was right and inherent in each human being: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.



xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment